Friday, February 16, 2007

Choice versus Fate - There's Really No Contest

I just did a very stupid thing; something I said I'd never do again. What was that?

I'll tell you. Trusting to fate. Or fortune or luck or whatever. It was a minor thing, really, and it probably won't change my life in any measurable way. And anyway, we'll never know what might have been...

Still, I took control of my life over the past few years, gradually and progressively, to the point where 'fate' had little to do with it and decisiveness and self-determination became the rule.

It was something and nothing, actually. Simply, I had left a web page open on my laptop, intending to read the really quite interesting but really quite long sales message on it, if I felt like it, a bit later.

Then I opened a newsletter, on which was a link to another page. Now, I know that sometimes a link opens a new window and sometimes it will use one that's already open. So I let 'it' decide whether I would get around to reading that other web page by clicking on the link. The new page replaced the old one, the 'once-only' offer was lost for ever, and 'fate' had decided whether that sales message was meant for me or not.

I probably wouldn't have bought, and maybe I'd already decided that before I took the chance of losing the offer, but it felt like tossing a coin, trusting to luck.

I didn't like it.

It won't happen again.

The lesson? Once we've tasted real self-determination, once we've fled a nest or chucked-in a job to join the real world, anything less just doesn't feel good enough. We're all capable of doing better than that.

As I said, it won't happen again.

Roy Everitt, Writing for Results

No comments: