Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Poetry Please(s)

I've been indulging myself with a little poetry writing lately, inspired by a superb artist whose blog I stumbled across a couple of weeks ago. Visual art doesn't always stimulate my creative urges, but this artist seems to paint a little like the way I write. Or I see poem ideas in her pictures, anyway.

Have a look for yourself on www.scrambolo.blogspot.com and see what I mean. You'll find a few poems of mine amongst the comments.

Also, I've been writing some 'flash poems' recently. I explain that term, and also describe a few other ways of finding inspiration, including using visual art, in my beginners' guide to writing poetry, a free ebook I'll send you if you just drop me a line by email or leave a message here. Remember I'll need your email address to send it to you.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of my recent 'flashes':

'Undone'

I'm wandering the streets unmade
amongst the puddled mess,
quite unemployed and quite unpaid
and in a state of dress
I wouldn't wish on anyone
except that they were me.
Undressed, unsatisfied, undone:
and lost to history.

It wasn't much to ask of life
that I may make my mark,
but that I must employ a knife
is miserable. Hark!
a Peeler turns the corner there
and I must slip away,
to shadows' quite caressing care,
to cut another day.

'Sea'

I must go down to the sea again
to see if it's still there
to see if the sea can ease this pain
or make me unaware
that my great loss is someone's gain
and I can't help but care.

I must go down to the sea again -
I wonder if I'd dare.

The titles are the trigger words - we can never know where they'll lead us!

Check out that website, though. It may well inspire you, too.

Roy

No comments: