Monday, September 11, 2006

Flash Poetry

This one I wrote in response to the work of a fellow poet, Peter Dixon, on the website More Writing. I've edited it slightly here.

I find I'm feeling young, and yet...
the certainties of younger years
I'd preach to any willing ears
have slipped away without the least regret.

But yet our struggle must go on
for open minds and kindly hearts -
how easily the slippage starts.
We'd follow where the certainties have gone

and, grasping for a finger hold,
clutch all the old familiar things -
the prejudice, that crap that clings,
for fear we will know nothing once we're old.

While I'm here, and before I forget, another reminder about an amazingly useful and informative ebook, recently published, on the subject of writing for profit.

It's by a successful and very knowledgable professional writer, Jacqui Carrel, and she's packed it with tips, links and information gleaned from her own experiences and those of her colleagues and associates, backed-up by months of research. It's totally free, and what's more, she'll be following up with a series of newsletters giving yet more advice and up to date information.

Frankly, if you want to write and you'd like to be paid for doing so, you really won't want to miss it. I've read and re-read it, and still I'm learning things I didn't know I didn't know!

Roy

No comments: