Saturday, June 10, 2006

After You

I intended to resist posting too much of my poetry here, but I came across this one in my archives, and as it's almost the first anniversary of its writing, I decided to indulge myself. Just this once. It's called 'Between Notes':

There
I listened to your music
where
between the notes
the hesitating silence
made the room to breathe

and walls turned away in modesty
windows covered their eyes
and doors quietly closed
and opened
closed and opened

the quiet glow became
a brilliant noise

and I was dazzled
deafened
into dying...

But there
was never music
nor were we ever
making love.

Just sitting
hearing heavenknows
what
except a beating heart.

Through silences of opened eyes
I glimpsed the last
defining part
of my completeness

you brought to me
and carried off
through an opened door.

Remember though
that now I know
where it may be found
it's merely borrowed
like an absent sound

or silence between notes.


You'll find some more of my poems on my website.

No comments: