Saturday, March 10, 2007

Overworked, Underpaid - and Self-Employed?

You just need to ask yourself why.

Why am I either overworked or underpaid when I decide my hours AND I decide my prices?

I was going to call this post 'Positioning and Self-Punishment' or something, but it might have been misconstrued. Then again, if you're underpaying yourself and overworking too, it might not be too far from the truth whichever way you choose to read it.

I was chatting to a friend just yesterday. A friend who, thankfully, understands perfectly what I'm talking about. For the moment, though, she is overworked, having acquired loads of new clients recently, to whom I guess she feels obliged.

Still, when I suggested she double her prices, maybe halve her clientele and therefore earn just as much with only half the work, she didn't even flinch. In fact she nodded.

Excellent. I hope she does just that. Then she'll get a big chunk of her life back.

Hardly anyone actually buys on price. Those who do are more than outweighed by those who don't, and you may as well have an easier life as a tougher one. Unless you're into self-punishment, of course.

It takes all sorts...

Roy Everitt, Writing for Results

STOP PRESS: Get into one of the best, probably the best self-employed business there is, and steal some great insights into the thinking of some your biggest customers when you order The Complete Guide To Copywriting by top writer Nick Wrathall.

It's aimed at business owners as much as copywriters, so you effectively get two great guides for the price of one - what business owners need you to write for them AND how to write it. Click here to find out more.

No comments: